PIX 2015

D800 & Sigma 10-20 or 17-35

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
pskuce OP
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Re: I don't understand
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, Jan 13, 2013

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

andrzejmakal wrote:

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

I don't understand why people buy the mercedes of cameras and put a Yugo engine on it.

(this is just my opinion, but I would *NEVER* put a 3rd party lens on a camera that costs $3k).

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

So you don`t understand why use offbrand lens, or you don`t understand why use DXmode with DX lens?

If former one - play with some Sigmas, then start giving advice.

When I purchased the D800e, I upgraded my lenses to FX.

And no, I don't see the reasoning for DX lenses on any FX camera, excepting one single example that was given to me - to allow for better viewability for moving objects such as birds taking flight. Other than that, you give up so much resolution when you shoot DX that all you end up doing with that crop factor is losing the resolution with no real gain. Do some tests. Because of the D800's amazing resolution, you can crop in by yourself without that crop factor and you still have the rest of the frame if you need any of it later.

I owned a Sigma lens and I thought it was the very last 3rd party lens I would ever own; but eventually I purchased a Tokina for my D300. But this makes sense, since the D300 is sort of like a nice Honda or something. It's okay to use less than stellar on a camera that's already less than stellar. It makes no sense to have a camera capable of resolving 36MP and putting inferior lenses on it. There's a reason that Nikon lenses are held in high regard, besides just the brand name.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I should explain that I do have the Nikon 28-300 VR this will cover 95% of my photo's. I just needed a ultra wide for the other 5%.

Thank you all for your tips. I'll try the 10-20 a bit longer while I save up for a Nikon Ultra wide.

 pskuce's gear list:pskuce's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow