Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ2 as primary camera
In reply to Pikme, Jan 13, 2013

Pikme wrote:

Pasmia wrote:

As for my style of shooting. I do heavy post-processing

Hmm.

I have XZ1 and several DSLRs with terrific lenses, plus a couple m4/3 cameras with even more terrific lenses. But after I got the XZ1 and printed a couple of books of photos in 2011, I really did wonder why or if I should keep any of the 'real' cameras and lenses. The quality of prints with XZ1 can be just amazing even in low light, as long as exposure is correct when taking the photo. It is the lens quality that matters, plus the usual Olympus color and tonality that is so pleasing.

But it will depend on your tastes with respect to processing files - I think the biggest difference between using a small sensor camera and big sensor camera is the quality of the file (not the quality of the image). Small files are ragged to start with and disintegrate quickly with heavy processing. That's why it is so critical to get exposure correct when shooting, as the files don't handle corrections very well.

You should just download some properly exposed raw photos and process them as you would like, to see if they hold up well enough for your tastes. Perhaps you should also try files from the larger sensored compacts (Fuji or Sony) to see if they hold up better for processing.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

This is a very good point.  Where can I find a full res raw sample of a portrait taken with an xz2?  Or maybe someone can provide me with one? needs to be raw... Or even Dng directly from raw.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow