Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,866
Like?
What is Street Photography? define please
Jan 13, 2013

I picked up an M9 largely to explore my old love of street photography.  Winter snow has made this difficult to pursue.  I am trying to get a mental grasp on what constitutes "Street Photography" in the modern context and I am looking for ideas on a mental direction.  Looking through the Leica forum as provided some interesting clues.  However most of what I see is what I would put into the general category of "Cityscapes" - even if they include the generic ​people on the street​ in which masses of people are nothing more than objects.

If possible, it would be nice to see what YOU define as street photography (even if it contradicts my above comments).  If possible, provide a set of 4 or more images that support your definition (so we can actually see the context of your definition).  I am most curious to see ​street photography​ through your eyes and mind.  This might help me get inspiration as I now again get into this aspect of photography.

Going through my old film images from the 1960's and 1970's for a book project, I see that my personal definition was to photograph people (almost always a single person) either in an environmental street situation or, as much as possible, an intimate portrait of the individuals in which the ​street​ may not even be visible. In some cases, even images off of the street in a store constitutes the genre of street photography. These twists also allows me to photograph a scene in which the human form is simply an ​element of composition​ but is otherwise anonymous.  With this in mind, here are images that support what I think constitutes ​Proper Street Photography​.  I wonder what your definition and samples would be

This is a number of ancient images taken with an M-series camera with lenses from 19mm (Canon thread mount) through 200mm F4 Telyt on  aVisoflex.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow