Olympus Epl-5 or Omd em5

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Questions thread
wine540
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus Epl-5 or Omd em5
In reply to howielenny, Jan 13, 2013

Funny thing, I sold my whole Nikon setup, D7000 and all. I wanted a camera to travel with and the Nikon plus Lenses etc. was a killer. I bought the OM-D and once I got over the learning curve dealing with the menus and settings I could see it was a very solid camera that captured great images. It wasn't as fast as the D7000, but fast enough. I then wanted something even more compact just to walk around with, take to parties etc. The EPL 5 with a 20 mm f1.7 pany lens was a great combo. I gave up weather sealing, IBIS, higher screen res, and a good viewfinder for a really compact rig that was a lot of fun.

The OMD is however a more rugged performer. I never thought much about features such as weather sealing, but it was important when I went hunting for waterfalls (O, the mist!) in NH in drizzling rain. The high performance viewfinder was also a blessing - a giant step up from the viewfinder in my "old" Panasonic G1.

I think the OMD is much more of a camera to build around with an advantage in important features over the EPL-5. It comes to Ireland (wet, damp and rainy?)  On the other hand, the EPL-5 is convenient and a lot of fun. I use both cameras more than my old D7000.

-- hide signature --

Dan W

wine540's gear list:wine540's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
100%New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow