Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: A99 Soft Video Note~
In reply to daqk, Jan 13, 2013

daqk wrote:

Baron LaCat wrote:

So to get the A99 to record video in anything other than a fully open lens, you have to switch to Manual Focus to achieve, for example, an F8 video recording.

Manual Focus suxs, especially if you want to record kids playing on a soccer field, or aircraft landing at an airport, or virtually anything else that is not static. What fun, having to adjust the focus all the time, while you try to record video !!!

I had to switch to MF too on my A65 to shrink aperture ... although peaking focus helped a bit but it troubled me a bit when I need "focus" on thinking the composition and lighting ...

Anyone here knows why is the camera needs to be at MF so Sony will let you adjust aperture? Hope this is not the typical "Sony" trick to protect its video equipment sales...

Page 65 of the A99 User Manual, Sony wrote:

• «To assign other functions to the Silent Multi-Controller » (Page 33)  Functions available:
  • Still image: Focus Mode / AF area/Select AF area / Exposure Comp. /  Metering Mode / ISO
  • Movie: Audio Rec Level / Focus Mode / AF area / Select AF area / Exposure Comp. / Metering Mode / ISO / Shutter speed / Aperture 

I don't know if you can force it, but it's seems to be accessible by this way (frankly I never try it, so I have no idea if it works or not...)

The other way I suggest to force the camera using F/8 in AUTO mode, is to copy the ROM of the Minolta AF 500 F/8 lens and replace the regular one, such as on a modified pre-"G" Minolta zoom with it. I don't know if it can work like that, but certainly have a way to solving this problem trought a tips like that.

Another way would be using the ability of this camera, to be remote controlled by a computer...

So, if it was not a technical problem, Sony would be well-advised to unlock this shabby limitation, that should be accessible by default. When the next Firmware up date, because we understand it would be very usefull for some semi-pro users.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow