Thanks, DPR. These X-E1 AF tips actually work.

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Charlesn
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
Thanks, DPR. These X-E1 AF tips actually work.
Jan 12, 2013

Having owned my X100 for almost 2 years, I was no stranger to X cam AF issues in low light, as well as the workarounds, so I figured the X-E1 would offer no surprises. Unfortunately, that was not the case, and I posted a thread here about the issues I was having. Two tips offered have really helped, and I must admit that I doubted they would because they were counterintuitive... but with nothing to lose, I gave them a try and found they made a significant difference in locking focus in low light:

1) Turn off the AF assist lamp. See what I mean by counterintuitive? But sure enough, that lamp seems to hinder instead of assist with focus. With the lamp off in low light, I'm locking focus more quickly and consistently. Go figure. WTF, Fuji? And... I find the opposite to be true on the X100--the lamp helps.

2) Make the AF point larger. Again, this is counter to what works best on my X100 in low light, where the smallest AF point possible will generally yield better focusing results. On the X-E1, I'm finding that going one or two steps larger from the smallest point improves its focusing ability in low light.

If you haven't given these tips a try, you'll be surprised.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow