Depth of Field Difference (m43 v DX) - An Example

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
DeepBlue2
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Re: Depth of Field Difference (m43 v DX) - An Example
In reply to ChipD, Jan 12, 2013

ChipD wrote:

I wondered if that was this about. Great book. My bro went to Harvard with him and he told me to read his book. Outstanding book. Read the second one and it was great, but the 3rd, not so. His books helped me in my business to get a handle on this innovator stuff. Would love to read/purchase your thoughts on this, and whether or not the M4/3 is a disruptive technology or not. I think most of the people responding to this thread are missing your point.

-- hide signature --

Chip Doolittle

Chip,

Thanks for asking.

M43 certainly seems to have the hallmarks of Christiansen's concept of disruptive technology.  However, this hasn't played out completely, so whether it truly disrupts the industry is yet to be seen. Of course, if you could easily see the disruption in real time, there would be no dilemma (as CC puts it).  If you plot the DXOmark sensor scores of FX, DX, and M43 cameras over the past few years, you see the classic trends that Christensen describes in his books.  Where you place the "good enough" line gives a bit of variation and room for differing diffusion rates among different types of users.

One of the things that makes teaching with case studies difficult in today's technological environment is that students want to go to the internet to see what happened and then that information biases their analyses.  In this case, the industry is still adapting, so there is plenty of room for students to debate whether the tech is disruptive, and if so, what is the likely trajectory of the industry as it reacts to the mirrorless and small sensor standards.  They won't be able to go to the internet and get what they think is the "right" answer.

This camera industry example will work well for my purposes.  Also, I can bring an OMD with a 12-35 and a D200 with a 17-55 to class and the students can see the size/weight differences for themselves.  Show-and-tell still works--even in graduate school.   I can also bring large prints to class and let students try to guess which picture was taken with which camera.  It's probably not a fair fight, since my D200 is 6 years old and the OM-D is the latest in sensor technology; but again, it illustrates one of CC's points about disruptive trends and the "good enough" curve.

The case study is in the early stages.  It should be ready as a working paper for my Fall innovation management class;  hopefully, it will be published about a year after that.  Nothing moves fast in academic publishing.

Best,

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike
Tampa, FL

DeepBlue2's gear list:DeepBlue2's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Meh.New
Heh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow