ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ishu
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
Gear for Photographing naked-eye comets
Jan 12, 2013

Greetings!

What would be a good setup for photographing a comet?  The recent reports of C/2012 S1 could be good news (or, of course, could be the next Comet Kohoutek).

Equipment-wise, I have a Nikon D90 (crop-sensor), 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, and an 18-105 zoom.  I imagine I can get good results with something I have, and maybe need a tripod and or clock drive or something.  Or do I need something longer than 50mm? Would this be a good excuse to get a tele-zoom like a 70-300 f/4-5.6?  Or would that be too slow and I really need a telescope and adapter?

I found some articles on the web that differ in terms of equipment recommendations.  I totally get that we're guessing on whether this comet would be naked-eye-visible at all, never mind how big, bright, etc.

Technique-wise, some  articles seem to recommend trial-and-error with exposure times.  Another is focused on film techniques and also is general in terms of what kind of comets.

If I have to save pennies and learn new gear, I'm happy to get started.  Thanks in advance!

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow