Mr Hyde
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
Re: Future proofing
In reply to JakeB, Jan 12, 2013

JakeB wrote:

Mr Gadget wrote:

Yea, but ...

The focus improvements that are coming with the Gen II versions of the XTrans and EXR processors are independent of any of the camera lenses. The original trinity of primes are to my memory are all external screw drive types while the 18-55 uses an internal silent wave (sic) focus motor. Therefore it is logical to believe that the improvements (on sensor PDAF, split image etc) contained in the latest versions of the XTrans and EXR will work with any of the existing lenses.

Just my take on it...

-- hide signature --

Conrad --------------------------------------------------- Show Low, Arizona

If that's the case, that's great. I thought from the OP's question there was some doubt about this based on the focusing technology in the original lenses.

That's exactly what I was asking, but out of sheer ignorance, and the desire to know whether or not a system into which I have committed myself  quite significantly (for me) was going to be a system, or whether the three original primes would be rendered (relatively) obsolete at the next camera upgrade due to the nature of their AF mechanism.

Thanks Mr Gadget for your reply.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow