Anyone been to Cosa Rica?

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone been to Cosa Rica?
In reply to JiminDenver, Jan 12, 2013

I have been to Costa Rica a couple of dozen times (my wife is Costa Rican)  I have been to Manuel Antonio, but not to the place you are staying.

Loose,comfortable clothes, hat, sun screen and bug repellent.  It will be humid compared to Denver, but, it tends to be a bit drier and warmer at this time of the year, compared to say November.  Rain, should not be a problem, but bring a pancho anyway.  I prefer closed toed shoes to the sandals or opened toed tevas.  Bring band aids and neosporin.  Latin America can be tough on gringos.

In terms of currency, the Colone is the currency but the dollar works just fine.  The dollar is widely accepted and people gladly accept it from the smallest shops to the supermarkets such as Automercado. In the more rural areas, this may not hold true.

A car rental is a mixed bag. A car brings flexibility.  It is expensive.  Car rental agencies look at every dent and ding.  You will be charged and the deductible is very high.

A car is a ball and chain in the San Jose area or any urban area.  Driving is a pain.  Streets and highways are congested.  Parking is tough and vandalism is common.  Once you get out of town it gets easier.  Street crime is common in the big cities but rare in rural areas.  A GPS is really helpful.

Toursit shuttles and trips are available and competitively priced.  A shuttle from the airport in San Jose is costly, but so is the car rental.

The natives are friendly and gracious. In the tourist areas, such as Manuel Antonio, English is widely spoken.   Most of the people you will come in contract with in the Quepos area will not be Costa Ricans but tourists. Lots of Canadians and German. I would not be surprised if the place you are staying is owned by an ex-pat.   The area is rural, but do not be lulled into a false sense of safety.  Use the same sense you would use in the US and you will be fine.

As is the case in Denver, altitude is everything in Costa Rica. The flora and fauna is very specific to where you are in altittude and whether you are windward or leeward.  It tends to be very accessible in terms effort to reward.  There should be a pretty good selection of life around the lodge.  You will need to change altitude to see more diversity.

Enjoy your trip.

Pura Vida.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow