What System Meets My Many Needs?

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,456Gear list
Like?
Re: What System Meets My Many Needs?
In reply to hval, Jan 12, 2013

Would you consider a rangefinder?  Your photo desires seemed to hint around the idea of one.  It might be worth a rental for a weekend.  If an M9 is out of the budget, other options are a Bessa (cheap but film), a used m8 (1.3x crop which I've found to be a decent compromise), macro is tough with those though.

Another option that's easier on the budget and has more macro options is a NEX.  Use the system zooms for small compact lenses (they're stabilized), add some rangefinder primes (Leica, Russian, or Contax), and a vintage macro for a fairly compact kit that does everything well.  Even my old Nex-3 is pretty streamlined and newer models add the ability to increase that further.  The menus aren't my favorite, but once I got it set up, I only need to use them to format the card.  I was pleasantly surprised by my wife's pseudo macro shots (max of 1:3 or so magnification) at the botanical garden yesterday both because she was using the kit lens and because she'd never tried it before (she isn't an enthusiast by any means but enjoys taking photos).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow