Retailer talked me out of OMD!!!!!!

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 367Gear list
Like?
Re: Weight & travel
In reply to ianbrown, Jan 12, 2013

As mentioned earlier, best solution to recommend is a lighter high end DX or aps-c system like Canon 7D or Nikon D7000 (or its upcoming successor likely due this year) with smaller than FF lens and also a Pen as either a EPL5 body or EM5. I even like the older well built Oly. EP3 as the flash is in the body. For travel and most types of photography these cameras can really deliver with the right lenses and technique. I go on vacation with Nikon D300s and with a Pen so I can choose one or other for the day or bring both in backpack, if I anticipate serious photography that day.

I have some reasonably good DX lens including Nikon 60mm f2.8 micro 1:1 G, Nikon 16-85mm VR, and Nikon 55-300mm VR (inexpensive but rated sharp) but I pick and choose which to take along on the day and which to leave in the room. Some days just the Pen. I leave my FF at home while on vacation.

If it is the overall expense a problem, go with an EPL5 (very solid camera with tilt screen) instead of EM5 and a high end DSLR aps-c size in Nikon or Canon, so you do not need to choose one or other.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Olympus PEN E-PL1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
hmmmNew
BlehNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow