ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vw671
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
Simga EF-610 Super vs Metz 52 AF-1
Jan 12, 2013

First the Sigma:

- The best performing feature on the unit is the built in wireless trigger which works with the built in feature on the A57. Works ever time and nothing to setup.- Menu system is pretty horrible by any measurement.- There is no easy way to flip between manual mode and TTL mode on the flash easily. This sucks if you want to quickly override the TTL behavior. Quickest way I could figure out is to put the camera in manual mode then the flash in manual mode. If you don't do this you can't change to manual mode on the flash at all.
- Manual is horrible! Horribly written and very confusing. - Build quality is OK. Looks like decent Chinese quality but actually made in Japan.

- But the show stopper for me was the TTL metering. On a SAL18135 anything above 35mm focal length would meter correctly but the 35mm and 24mm settings is underexposed at least 2 stops. You can adjust this on the body but the body only gives you +/- 2 stops of flash compensation. It works but not very practical as if you compensate 35-24mm @ +2 stops then when you zoom to over 35mm then your over exposing everything by 2 stops. Due to this issue I RMA'd the unit.

Replaced with the Metz:

- Built in Germany and build quality is really good, this thing is a tank! Noticeably more weight then the Sigma. Very well made and I like how they implemented their Minolta hotshoe lock. Flash is much more secure on the Alpha's body.

- I thought the touch screen interface might be slow to navigate in actual use. But to my surprise it's not bad....I think I might be a convert. Information on screen is much readable then on the Sigma with large fonts.

-Manual is huge...granted it's in 6 languages, but it's well written and pretty easy to understand.

- Included carrying case is very nice and form fitted specifically to the flash. The Sigma one was a universal "bag" type case of much lower quality.

- Wireless trigger works just as good as the Sigma.

- But what it really comes down to is does TTL work...and it does. None of the issues I had using the same lens and body. It's a keeper.

Conclusion: I do NOT recommend the Sigma (*at least with a A57). I DO recommend the new Metz 52 AF-1.

vw671's gear list:vw671's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow