ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vw671
Contributing MemberPosts: 536Gear list
Like?
Simga EF-610 Super vs Metz 52 AF-1
Jan 12, 2013

First the Sigma:

- But the show stopper for me was the TTL metering. On a SAL18135 anything above 35mm focal length would meter correctly but the 35mm and 24mm settings is underexposed at least 2 stops. You can adjust this on the body but the body only gives you +/- 2 stops of flash compensation. It works but not very practical as if you compensate 35-24mm @ +2 stops then when you zoom to over 35mm then your over exposing everything by 2 stops. Due to this issue I RMA'd the unit.

Replaced with the Metz:

- Built in Germany and build quality is really good, this thing is a tank! Noticeably more weight then the Sigma. Very well made and I like how they implemented their Minolta hotshoe lock. Flash is much more secure on the Alpha's body.

- I thought the touch screen interface might be slow to navigate in actual use. But to my surprise it's not bad....I think I might be a convert. Information on screen is much readable then on the Sigma with large fonts.

-Manual is huge...granted it's in 6 languages, but it's well written and pretty easy to understand.

- Included carrying case is very nice and form fitted specifically to the flash. The Sigma one was a universal "bag" type case of much lower quality.

- Wireless trigger works just as good as the Sigma.

- But what it really comes down to is does TTL work...and it does. None of the issues I had using the same lens and body. It's a keeper.

Conclusion: I do NOT recommend the Sigma (*at least with a A57). I DO recommend the new Metz 52 AF-1.

vw671's gear list:vw671's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow