Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Subatomic
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Considering OM-D but confused about what lenses to choose
Jan 12, 2013

From what I read, the OM-D looks great - would be a nice step up from my Canon T1i.  The smaller size would be my main reason for switching.  But then I start trying to figure out what lens(es) I would buy and I get frustrated.

My main desire would be a fast standard zoom.  Olympus doesn't have one, so the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm F2.8 ASPH Power OIS seems to be the best choice.  However, the $1150 price tag gives me pause.  Does this lens still have fast focusing on the Olympus body?  What happens if you leave the image stabilization on in both the body and the lens?  Any concerns about shooting video?

Or maybe I should get the M.ZUIKO Digital 17mm f/1.8 for $500, the kit lens, and wait for Olympus to release a fast standard zoom?  (Is the 17mm 1.8 available yet?)

Or maybe just forget about small size and get the Olympus Zuiko Digital 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0?  This appears to be the best lens of the bunch.  Would it still focus quickly on the OM-D body?  Comparable weights and sizes:

211g, 57x83mm   M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ

305g, 68x74mm   Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm F2.8 ASPH Power OIS

575g, 80x99mm + adapter   Olympus Zuiko Digital 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0   ($1000 + adapter)

Any other choices as a standard lens?

Seems ironic to me that the Olympus is touted as having great lens choices and I can't find any that excite me.  For example, if I bought the Panasonic standard lens, I would probably buy the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS down the road.

BTW - is there any nationwide retailed that sells the OM-D (Best Buy doesn't keep them in stock) so that I could actually hold one before buying it?

Thanks.

Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Leica X Vario
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow