ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JohnNewman
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
Unacceptable CA with 18-55 kit lens
Jan 12, 2013

Hi all

I'm a stranger on the Pentax SLR forum but would appreciate comments about this problem.  My son in Australia recently asked me for help in choosing his 1st DSLR and I ended up recommending him to buy a K5 (the older model) which was on offer at a very good price from a local dealer in Queensland, as opposed to a Nikon D7000.

He's very pleased with the camera and is starting to turn out some good shots.  However, just about every single shot has what I regard as unacceptable CA. Bearing in mind he's new to photography, he's not yet into post processing in any big way and is mainly shooting jpegs (so far). My experience with other cameras (and I've used many) is that generally most CA is dealt with in-camera to at least an acceptable level for 90% of the time.

I'm fully aware that in due course he will need to shoot RAW and get to grips with Lightroom, ACR or another processor but I am wondering whether he's got a poor copy of the kit lens. I'd therefore appreciate comments from experienced Pentax users as to what he can reasonably expect from this lens.

I'm also interested for myself as, although I currently shoot with a Sony Nex 7 (for weight reasons) I am missing my DSLR for certain types of photography and was wondering whether to pull the trigger on purchasing a K5 while there's still a few left!

Thanks for any comments.

Regards

John

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Nikon D7100
Nikon D7000 Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow