Getting the most out of my 5d files....any other suggestions?

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
IvanM
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?
Getting the most out of my 5d files....any other suggestions?
Jan 12, 2013

I have decided against upgrading to the latest batch of new releases, namely the 5d3 or the 6d.

This time round I am going to spend some money on lenses, and I have already bought the 24

ts and am I eyeing the new 35mmf2 IS...

Quality wise I think my 5d2 is still up there with the new releases. The two main things that

have bugged me with the 5d2 nl shadow noise and high iso banding, I have found a solution for.

I will discuss the former here today. On a recent commercial assignment to photograph a new

mine shaft being constructed I waited in vain for a good weather forecast and eventually could

wait no more and had to photograph the mine on a totally overcast day. My plan was to try my

hand at some HDR processing to bring some life back in the clouds. To be able to do this I

bracketed 1 1/2 stops either side from normal. In the end I didn't even have to do any HDR

processing. There was still an incredible amount of info left in what looked like to be an almost

blown out sky..

So I include here my original 'overexposed' image. The 2nd image is the overexposed image

'pulled back' 3 1/3 stops with an increase in the shadow areas and some 'clarity' increase just to

give it some pop. The whole process took under a minute via LR4, which incidentally I have

found has a much better 'clarity' slider than previous versions...

The overexposed images pulled back to normal also had much much 'cleaner' shadow areas with

none of the shadow noise for which canon is so famous for...

More images and thoughts on the subject here at : http://www.ivanmuller.co.za/blog-item/expose-right

regards, Ivan Muller
http://www.ivanmuller.co.za/blog

Overexposed image....

'pulled back' 3/13 stops!

'pushed' underexposed image...just look at the noise!

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow