Am I nuts? Nepal with just the X100.

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
evoprox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I nuts? Nepal with just the X100.
In reply to Al Downie, Jan 12, 2013

Al Downie wrote:

If it was me, I'd take the X-Pro1 and the 18-55mm, and leave the 35mm behind. I spent some time in Ladakh and found the telephoto end of my compact's zoom range *very* useful for candid portraits of wrinkled locals' faces, landscapes etc.

I took a Canon A650 because it used AA batteries which I was fairly sure would be more readily available than reliable mains electricity, but it did a pretty good job. All my favourite shots were taken with the telephoto end of the zoom range:

Himalayas by bicycle

Is Nepal mostly Buddhist? If so, you might find that the locals don't take too kindly to the 'in your face' style that a fixed 35mm lens might force you to adopt.

Have a great trip!

Al

I used to live in Nepal for some years and to me the Nepalis are some of the friendliest, funniest, warmest, open people I've ever met on this planet. Needless to say that this not an invitation to treat them like fair game, something I've witnessed countless times on a daily basis, more often than not downright sickening so, especially since the onslaught of mass tourism.I'm most probably going back this year and regarding the choice of camera will continue to use my little unobtrusive X10>X20 as my main cam, the flexibility of that little beast is hard to beat, even though I might end up with the majority of shots centered around 35mm FL.

BTW: In all those years in the Himalayas I NEVER had ANYTHING stolen from me, but then I'm not obsessed with that idea or suffer from any fears of that sort. YMMV.

evoprox's gear list:evoprox's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow