Best lens for architectural photography

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
semorg
Contributing MemberPosts: 941
Like?
Re: Don't waste your money
In reply to joger, Jan 12, 2013

joger wrote

please post some of your's - would be interesting to see your results from a tilted camera vs shifted

A friend of mine owns the 14-24 Nikkor and he did panoramas at 24 mm (using the nodal point). The results were horrible - using PTGui and PS CS 6 compare to my shifted and recombined shots putting them side by side. The geometry was just wrong and the result did not fit the view of the Tilt and Shift - if you don't have both side by side it would be maybe acceptable.

I am not sure whether it was just bad handling of the software or wrong hardware handling or both?

With my TS-E 17 I always get geometrically perfect images - knowing that some people can do magic with software I am sure that you can do a lot with it when you do it properly and you know what to do.

On the other side I like photographing and a clean and short workflow with the least possible software involvement. That's why I use LightRoom and MACs and sometimes PS CS 6 - but the time I spend in front of the computer for photography is surely a fraction of the time I spend for photographing - some photographers seem to be more open for computergraphing rather then photographing.

Just a matter of taste.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

What projection was he using with ptgui? The default is rectangular which is not the best for a wide angle lenses, also you have to adjust the line of sight of the camera. It takes like a few minutes. But you get far better images sharp from corner to corner

-- hide signature --

search engine for photographers:
http://www.f8daily.com/search

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow