Techart lens adapter for Canon EF-EFs to NEX?

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mike Sandman
Mike Sandman Regular Member • Posts: 484
Techart lens adapter report: for Canon EF-EFs to NEX

I purchased a Techart auto-capable EOS to E-mount converter at the MX Camera shop in Hong Kong, which offers it on eBay worldwide.  It’s $255 vs. $399 for a Metabones adapter.  Based on limited experience, it sets aperture & speed well on an NEX-6, but autofocus has some limitations.   Don’t buy it unless you’re prepared to accept its limits, which are related to the Sony's firmware.

The adapter appears to store all the EXIF data except the identification of the lens.  I’m not 100% sure because I don’t have PS CS6 on my laptop.  So I used Sony Image Data Converter to convert a couple of raw files to TIFF and opened them in CS 5.  All the data was there except the lend ID.  CS 6 may report lens identification correctly, but it will be a couple of weeks before I get home to try it.

If you set the camera and lens to manual focus you get help from focus peaking.  Autofocus works faster than expected – faster than a Canon DSLR using Live View, but slower than the NEX-6 using an E-mount lens  Autofocus has one big problem, at least with an NEX-6.  My camera is set for single-shot AF, but the Canon 24-105 lens I tested hunted continuously.  That action is powered by the camera battery, so autofocusing via the adapter will eat into battery life quickly.

The adapter appears to store all the EXIF data except the identification of the lens.  I’m not 100% sure because I don’t have PS CS6 on my laptop.  So I used Sony Image Data Converter to convert a couple of raw files to TIFF and opened them in CS 5.  All the data was there except the lend ID.  CS 6 may report lens identification correctly, but it will be a couple of weeks before I get home to try it.

There’s a tripod foot with a standard screw thread.  The Metabones adapter comes with a removable Arca-Swiss compatible QR foot that’s also threaded, but the Techart tripod mount is fixed.  It sits lower than the camera’s base, so if you mount the camera, adapter & lens on a tripod you have to use the adapter’s thread unless the lens has a tripod mount.  That’s OK; just be aware of it.  If you have an Arca-Swiss quick release plate on the camera, it may not work because the adapter’s tripod mount is quite close to the camera body.  You could move the QR plate to the adapter – a mild PITA if you have the hex wrench and a big problem if you don’t.

The Techart adapter is all metal, with anon-reflective interior.  It’s nicely finished and seems to fit both the NEX mount ant the Canon lenses well – about like a good third party extender would.   As noted, there are some limitations, but it does give you seamless auto aperture and speed on EF and EF-S lenses (including at least the one Sigma EF mount lens that I tried).

Mike Sandman

Mike Sandman's gear list:Mike Sandman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7R III Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow