Safari query (inexperienced photographer and SLR owner)

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Questions thread
carnac
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
Re: Safari query (inexperienced photographer and SLR owner)
In reply to StevenLee, Jan 12, 2013

As said above the Canon 100-400L IS is a great lens and a favorite for safari use. However, it does take some practice to use (esp on a crop body like the 450 (due to the 1.6x factor making it the equivalent of a 160-640)). At that focal length, technique (management of shutter speed, ISO, tripod or vehicle mount, etc for sharp photos) will require some practice.

I would suggest going with the new Canon 70-300L IS. It is smaller, lighter, very sharp, new 4 stop IS, and easier to use on a Canon Rebel, esp for an inexperienced user. She may find that the Safari experience is a better one with less worry about a bigger lens like the 100-400L.

If I was going with a Rebel, and was kind of new or inexperienced with digital SLR photography, the kit to take for me would be; EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 IS, and 70-300L IS. All great lenses, the UWA for landscapes, the 17-55 is a 2.8 with IS, so great all around lens for evenings around camp, and the excellent 70-300L IS for animal shots.

-- hide signature --

Jim 'Carnac' Carnahan

carnac's gear list:carnac's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow