Nikon 24-85mm VR versus Nikon 24-120mm F4 VR

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
PaulR
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?
Thanks and follow on question about focus
In reply to PaulR, Jan 12, 2013

I appreciate all the thoughtful responses.  My take away is that I probably wouldn't be enough happier with the 24-120 to justify the rather hefty price and that I would be better off investing that money in a selection of high quality primes for when I need the highest image quality or wider aperture.  As I noted in my first post I have been generally impressed with the sharpness of the 24-85mm.

One thing I did find in my testing is that there is sometimes quite a bit of variation between auto focusing with Live View versus focusing normally and which is better depends on the focal length I was shooting.  I am a newbie when it comes to AF fine tuning but it didn't seem to me that my 24-85mm was materially front or back focusing so I'm curious what would account for the variation in sharpness with Live View vs. Phase Detection.  The fact that it isn't always one or the other that is sharper has me a bit puzzled.  Since I know the lens is capable of very sharp results at all focal lengths the focus problems seem more like an idiosyncrasy of the D600.

I know I have seen posts claiming their are issues with precise and repeatable auto focus with the D600 and D800 but I wasn't really paying much attention to the various theories that were being bandied about.   One thing I did notice with Phase Detection Auto Focus was that what distance the lens settled at depending on whether focus started close up or at infinity but I didn't test to see if that affected the resulting sharpness.  Has anybody else noticed anything like this?

Thanks.

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow