$2K absolute max for a new Mac

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pasmia
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
Re: $2K absolute max for a new Mac
In reply to KCCjr, Jan 12, 2013

KCCjr wrote:

Have you actually tried using a 27" screen at an Apple store? Take a sample photo with you to edit and try the two screen sizes. Even try your favorite game. I find it interesting that the part you interface with by far the most (the screen) is the part lowest on the priority list (and essentially the one part you cannot reasonably change). Anyway good luck with your choice. The iMacs are quite nice. It's difficult to go astray.

-KCCJr

Yes, I'm completely aware of the benefits of having a 27" screen.  However, I'm pretty firm at not exceeding $2k.  The base price of the 27" iMac (upper end) is already $1900.  I can stretch and upgrade the Video card to: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5 for a total of $2034 but I'm stuck with the regular 7200rpm 1TB HDD and i5 processor.  The lower end 27" doesnt' have an option to upgrade the video card and seems pretty low for a screen of that caliber.  But again.... video cards are my weak points.  If I go this route, I can get the fusion drive (1TB) but I'm still stuck with the i5 (and even a bit slower than the previous option at 2.9 vs 3.2).  I just figured a maxed out 21" would give me better performance albeit, in a smaller screen.  I'd rather have close to fast/seamless computing on a small screen than load times, lag, and choppiness on a bigger screen.  Even though it may run fine now, I'm also looking at 2-5 years down the road.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow