How much light does CNTL flash "spill" into scene?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
FramerDave
Contributing MemberPosts: 504
Like?
Re: sybersitizen is right (again) — the ANSWER
In reply to William Porter, Jan 12, 2013

William Porter wrote:

Glenn wrote:

Just to be clear. Using FEL eliminates the flash delay on wireless in the A99 either at sync or in HSS mode? Or just in HSS?

William will be glad to hear this I'm sure.

Yes, indeed, I would. So (I suspect) would Gary Friedman.

I commented on Gary's blog on the delay and he confirmed it already:

Gary L Friedman December 28, 2012:

FarmerDave:

I tried it with the HVL-F58AM and the HVL-F60AM as the controller - all with the same delay. (I meant to mention that in the video... )

• I tried this combo too. While doing so I found out after triggering FEL (default C button in top left front of A99) the delay is gone. Would the locked flash exposure be good enough as a work around so you can catch the exact expression on children?

Gary L Friedman December 28, 2012:
  • Farmer Dave, I was going to give a flippant remark like "Sure it'll work -- as long as you only need to take one picture!".  But I just tried it and discovered that, unlike some Canon models, Flash Exposure Lock locks until you either press the button again or press the Play button.  So yes, this works as long as the distance between your subject and flash doesn't change (which is the case with portraits.) 
    Well done, sir!

I hope he does not mind I quoting him here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow