Wedding conundrum

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Questions thread
thomo
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?
Re: Wedding conundrum
In reply to barbossa3127, Jan 12, 2013

If it is your first wedding shoot, I would offer to do it for free. As others have said, shooting weddings is damned hard work. I gave it up nearly two years ago now because it just isn't worth the time and effort compared to what you can earn in your day job.

For a start you need a second camera - preferably identical to your existing and likewise with speedlights. If you offer to shoot it for free, perhaps you could suggest your friend just pays for the hire of the other camera and flash. At least if you are shooting it for free and as a favour, you're less likely to lose a friend or get sued if things go pear-shaped on the day.

See if you can hire or borrow a Black Rapid double harness. You need your 24-70 on one camera and 70-200 on the other. I'd forget about getting fancy with remote flashes on stands. Things move very quickly at weddings and you don't want to get caught flat-footed while mucking around setting up lights.

The most valuable advice I ever learned from one of the top wedding guys (in the world) was to use Auto ISO and shoot RAW! Make sure you can do fill-flash in all lighting conditions - it will make your post processing a little easier.

Make sure all your batteries are charged (including spares) and that your cameras are set identically and the time on both cameras are syncronised - otherwise you'll have problems when you try and view the images when you combine them in one folder (they will be out of sequence).

Like someone else mentioned, you have to know how to manage people and large groups - you can't be shy and you can't be too bossy - you need to be personable! And it is like herding cats!

Try and check out some books on wedding photography and check out some of the traps in posing - angle the bodies, watch the hands and feet (there are techniques particularly for shooting women). Learn a few romantic poses for the couple. Check your background behing your subjects and look out for things growing out of peoples heads! You'll need a decent tripod for your gear while you're setting up group poses.

Good luck,

Thomo

thomo's gear list:thomo's gear list
Nikon Df +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow