Getting it narrowed down E-PL3 vs GF5K

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Questions thread
AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,422Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting it narrowed down E-PL3 vs GF5K
In reply to truedog, Jan 12, 2013

truedog wrote:

After some recommendations I am now looking at two different 4/3 cameras, the Lumix GF5K and the Olympus E-PL3. They seem very similar in most respects, but I prefer the tilt screen on the E-PL3 while I like the higher def touchscreen on the GF5K.

Prices are VERY close. Anyone who has used both cameras and can give me some pluses and minuses of each?

I have Olympus E-PL1 and 2 day old E-PM2. Also older Olympus DSLR. I have Panasonic G2.

Olympus has my preference of JPEG. My G2 even though it is an older model has well planned controls, technology is pretty cool. However, the JPEG colours are not to my preference at all. I love it's black and white output though.

The PL3 and PM1 etc... are old models and would be oh 20 - 30% cheaper now than current model Olympus so looks good bargains. However, the OM-D, PL5, PM2 are way and way ahead of that generation - firstly they have a markedly different sensor - ISO 6400 grain looks like ISO 400 / 800 on the older cameras - the dynamic range, tones are much, much improved, secondly the Auto Focus is now one of the best if not the best by a long shot compared to the previous generation and matrix metering is now really, really more clever and covering more situations.

I have no research on the GS5K but I suggest you choose the PL5 or PM2 as the Olympus contender instead of the PL3

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow