Delaying move to mirrorless...bought an LX7 to tide me over....

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rickreyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 711Gear list
Like?
Delaying move to mirrorless...bought an LX7 to tide me over....
Jan 12, 2013

I've been in a three-week "think tank" wondering if I should try a mirrorless system and move from the DSLR world. I've focused on also every angle, thinking of full frame to compact and combinations thereof. My camera bag consists of a 60d (15-85mm and 70-300mm lenses) and a Nikon P7100. I've learned that I am not ready to give up the DSLR because its very quick and the image quality is reliable. Honestly, I need to learn more of what it can do. The Nikon as a "street walker" is good, but to get really striking photos, I need to help it along a bit. The 200mm lens is fantastic and the camera could not be more laden with useful things. But it does not inspire me. Maybe its the tiny peep hole of an OVF, I don't know. I do know that when I am using the 60d, I am really working the shot in the viewfinder. I think I will go mirrorless someday, and I did actually a couple of years ago with a G something from Panasonic and two lenses. But it was too slow. I returned it and bought a Rebel T2i like the rest of the world and promptly took 2,000 photos on a southern Carribean cruise. I then allowed nature to take its course and cast my lot with Canon, which also included the S95, S100, and G12. Those smaller cameras were slightly inspiring (S95), but still not enough. I got the Nikon for the reach and intended purpose of throwing it in my backback and walking around stealth-like. Now I think the MFT world has caught up and is neck and neck with the DSLRs. I am still lusting after a OMD-D (too much money unless I ditch the 60D), but the Panasonic line, particularly the GH3, is intriguing, that with a couple of primes maybe, or the 12-35mm. Nevertheless, I wound up with the LX7 which will arrive next week. I cut my teeth on a Panasonic FZ30, so I still have kind of a place in my heart for the unmistaken look of the Lumix and Leica machines. I am stunned by the vivid samples I've seen, and while it's 10MP, what else can they put on it? I secured the EVF too so I can have something to compose on, but I might not need it that much. The competition was the RX100, but I wanted to create....I wanted to paint with the thing...not drive it like a sports car. I'll let you know if it becomes my "street shooter." I'll check back in.

-- hide signature --
 rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow