Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?
Fun Shoot: Seagulls with off camera flash - P7700's CLS
Jan 12, 2013

It was very overcast and I wanted to try out my P7700's CLS on shooting (photographing) seagulls.

Shooting by the beach a few years ago with my DSLR, I got some very interesting shots with my flash against a dark sky.

I was not at the beach today. The importance of this is that there was no constant breeze enabeling the birds to hover in front of me and my camera as I tossed food up in the air.

The birds today could only dive bomb the food as I tossed it up in the air. . This didn't last too long as the seagulls soon realized the food the guy is throwing will fall to the ground.

So they stopped dive bombing and stood on the ground joining the pidgeons which already figured this out.

I shot about 55 frames before the birds wised up, single shot with two SB600's, one near my camera the other to the left of me on a light stand.  Didn't miss firing one flash with the built-in flash. Truly amazing.

Without hovering birds focus was going to be bad and it was.

The following shots are each crops of about 1/6 of an original frame, resized to 3000 pixels high,

mainly because of the dive bombing making any composing a pot luck attempt.

It is alot of fun and next time I will go try this at the beach where conditions will be better for focusing on hovering birds rather than dive bombing birds.

The CLS of my  P7700 amazes me, happily.

Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow