Nikkor 35 mm dx 1.8 or nikkor 50 mm 1.8

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Questions thread
schaf
Contributing MemberPosts: 706
Like?
Re: Nikkor 35 mm dx 1.8 or nikkor 50 mm 1.8
In reply to slimandy, Jan 11, 2013

True and fair enough Andy. I should have been a bit more precise in my response. For head and shoulder portraits....the 50mm hands down and which ever variant of that one chooses. On the D5100 of course an AF-S versions will be required for auto-focus.

I tend the use the AF-S DX 35mm indoors for social gatherings and this works pretty well for some quick causal portraits and candid shots but I do run out of room at times when trying to get larger groups or an entire room. With enough distance between the camera and subject perspective distortion is not an issue. That said, the 50mm obviously compresses the image a bit more and the result is more flattering for sure.

Honestly...both of these lenses are useful in different situations I would recommend to the OP to get them both. Get the 50mm first off if portraits are the immediate need then add the 35mm when you can. I have both (though AF 50mm F1.4D) and can't image being without either.

Schaf

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow