Safari query (inexperienced photographer and SLR owner)

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
StevenLee
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Safari query (inexperienced photographer and SLR owner)
Jan 11, 2013

Hello... I note there is a "which is the best lens for a safari" question already just a few posts down and I hope you forgive me for any repetition.  From reading that its clear that the OP knows his stuff.  I, on the other hand, know very little (indeed, I am a interloper from the Pentax forum doing a favour for my sister!). Its fair to say I'm a tad nooby, so be a little gentle please!

She is intending to go on safari to Botswana herself soon and wants to buy a decent lens for her Canon 450D.  Both myself and her know nothing about Canon lenses - or very much about getting the best out of SLRs and would welcome some broad advice about which lens would suit.  As I say, I know very little about Canon lens and while I could obviously search extensively for 400mm + kit (presumably the minimum starting point?), I'd need a bit of a pointer in terms of value for money and quality and what to look for in the Canon (or 3rd party - if good candidates) range.

I'm reliably informed that price isn't (too) much of an issue... though I did wonder whether some of what they are prepared to pay might be invested in either a better camera (?) or other important kit.  As I say, my experience is mainly snapping landscapes out on walks or the odd garden bird with my 70-300 and any help about this very different activity.

Many thanks in advance.

Steven

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 450D (EOS Rebel XSi / EOS Kiss X2)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow