Aperture slowing down on 2.66Ghz iMac

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Paul_R_H
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
Re: Aperture slowing down on 2.66Ghz iMac
In reply to kb2zuz, Jan 11, 2013

Thanks. I do run Onyx fairly frequently, and it's never caused problems, but never greatly helped either.

Best way to speed up an ageing Mac (I've always found this) is to quit and re-launch the applications that run more-or-less constantly – ie Mail, Safari, and Word (or in my case LibreOffice). Quit and relaunch each of them several times. And leave them quit while running Aperture (or before that, Bibble 4 and then Bibble 5).

Paul

kb2zuz wrote:

I think it might be the largely the SSD making the Air faster. If 4GB of RAM is not enough for aperture it will start using the SSD/HDD as scratch disk space/virtual memory. If it does this, the SSD with be much faster than the hard disk. It's likely it's paging out on both machines but the SSD makes it less noticeable. Of course if you can increase the memory so that it is not using scratch disk as much in the first place the results will be much better. If it's only about $50 to upgrade the RAM, I'd consider that low hanging fruit. Running a program like Onyx can clear up some system logs and caches and run basic disk and permissions checks that could speed somethings up.

I haven't had any issues with Onyx but always recommend backing up a system before running any program like this or a defragger just incase something goes wrong.

-- hide signature --

\~K

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow