IS blurring : does your 24-105mm f4 L have this problem?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
NerdblurbSteve
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: IS blurring : does your 24-105mm f4 L have this problem?
In reply to salamander1, Jan 11, 2013

salamander1 wrote:

NerdblurbSteve wrote:

Mine had this issue. I sent it in to Canon back in back in November and they had to replace the circuit board. Once i got it back, i could shoot at apertures other than F/4 at 1/8th without any blurring issues. Before sending it in, anything other than F/4 with IS on was blurring at shutter speeds slower than about 1/125th.

interesting...

and was this blurring at shutter speeds slower than about 1/125th. as visible as the examples provided above by the op? i mean, we are talking about some serious shutter speeds. you can go all day sometimes shooting at speeds between 1/50 - 1/125 if it's cloudy outside. is the blurring you're describing more discrete or is it as aggressive? could you please post some examples if you have the time and desire, of course. no rush.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the test images i sent along with the lens to Canon. However, the blurring on my lens was exactly like the examples in this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41879017

Basically, with IS on and at apertures other than F4, the IS lens element would move at a 45 degree angle when the shutter was depressed. I could tell this was happening, because my focus point would slide back up and to left in the view finder once the shutter closed and I could see through the viewfinder again. 100% consistent and able to replicate. F4, everything was fine. F-anything else, always a blur at 45 degrees down and to the right at anything other than pretty fast shutter speeds.

NerdblurbSteve's gear list:NerdblurbSteve's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow