How is 12-35 AF in Low Light

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark B UK
Contributing MemberPosts: 905Gear list
Like?
Re: How is 12-35 AF in Low Light
In reply to Absolutic, Jan 11, 2013

In low light I suspect the contrast of the lens and the speed of the motor make relatively little difference to AF speed and accuracy, largely because (in my experience) the main determinants are whether or not it's dark enough for the infra red to be triggered and of course whether the subject is moving. Put together those last two conditions and your chances of the camera hunting or delivering an unsharp image are higher with m43 than with conventional DSLRs using lenses with the same maximum aperture (I add this qualification because a faster lens might enable a camera to focus without AF for longer). This is because the DSLR can typically autofocus without using the illuminator in lower light levels and illuminators capture subject position at a brief point in time so aren't great for action.

That said of course, m43's AF system is more accurate in good light and with static subjects, and the focus zone covers a much higher proportion of the frame, which means that in decent light, there are times when our cameras are better at tracking moving subjects than DSLRs, which lose the plot when a subject falls outside the area covered by the sensors (which can be quite small in some cases - witness the D600).

Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow