Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DeepBlue2
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
Depth of Field Difference (m43 v DX) - An Example
Jan 11, 2013

I'm working on a case study about disruptive innovation in the camera industry.  The focus is on the m43 system and its effects on the industry.  To illustrate the points in the case for non-photographers, I've taken several pictures as examples.

I thought this forum might like to see this picture of my daughter I did for one of the illustrations.  I tried to take two pictures that were roughly equivalent at the same aperture.  I say roughly, because one picture was taken with the Oly 45 on an OM-D and the other was taken with a Nikon 50/1.4 on a D200.  Consequently, you'll see some slight difference in framing and background compression.

A disclaimer... This is meant to be a rough illustration of a general principle.  It is not meant to be a definitive example of absolute technical precision (e.g. the focal lengths correspond to a FOV of 90 and 75 on a FF system).  This was the closest I had to roughly equivalent lenses with adequate depth of field for the example.  I just thought that some might be interested in the results.

So here you go...

-- hide signature --

Mike
Tampa, FL

DeepBlue2's gear list:DeepBlue2's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +21 more
Nikon D200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Meh.New
Heh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow