Started Jan 6, 2013 | Questions thread
MgrBuddha
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Re: Right Lens for EOS 650d
In reply to potepp, Jan 11, 2013

potepp wrote:

Hi everyone,

I was a proud owner of Canon S2 IS, for a couple of years, but it's retired now and I'm looking for a new toy.
I've set my eyes on Canon EOS 650d, but I don't know which lens would be ideal for a dslr beginner.
I found these packages:
camera + 18-55 IS II + 55-250 IS II
camera + 18-55 IS II
camera + 18-135 IS STM
I also want to get canon's EF 50mm f 1,8 II.
I want to shop on panamoz or procamerashop.
I'm not sure which combination would be ideal for me. I like photographs of nature, landscapes, macros and close-ups and I plan to use 50mm lens for indoor shoots. But sometimes I might need small zoom, that's why I was considering 18-135 lens.
I know that the lens might not be ideal, but I know my budget, so I want to choose the right combination that would keep me going for a while - something more-less universal.
Anyway, the question is - which combination should I go for?
Thank you for your time, help and opinion.

I bought my 650D half a year ago, and after a lot of online research ended up buying the house and the EF-S 15-85mm. That might be a more expensive lens than what you are considering, but it's an extremely useful normal-zoom lens that you can use in almost any kind of situation. And the image quality of this lens is proper match for the camera you are considering. If you go on taking pictures for a while you are bound to want more quality than what the absolutely cheapest lenses will give you.

Or, you could save money and buy a cheaper camera, the EOS 1100D with the 18-55 IS II kit lens (also a matching pair). But, as I said, the 650D with the 15-85 is a super combo, and you can use this for a long time before you decide what other lenses you need.

Good luck with your choice

MgrBuddha's gear list:MgrBuddha's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow