PSA: Do you attach your camera strap correctly?

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeorgeD200
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?
PSA: Do you attach your camera strap correctly?
Jan 11, 2013

After reading a post about a DPR member blaming a strap manufacturer for his camera/lens falling, I thought I'd do a thread about it.

Having worked in a camera shop for almost 10 years, I can tell you that I've seen everything, from straps tied or knotted, to straps held on only by the little loop bit designed to keep the ends tidy, and not even through the buckles.

What I see most often, though, is straps dutifully slipped through the buckles, almost correctly.  This usually holds the cameras securely enough, sometimes for years, but they can occasionally slip out.

Most people skip right past the "attaching your strap" part of the camera manual, but you might be surprised by what it shows.

This is from the Spanish D700 manual.  I can't find my English one.  Oh dear!

This is what I see 90% of the time.  It works fairly well, but can occasionally loosen over time, and the consequences can be disastrous!

Guaranteed to keep your strap tight and secure.

I have no idea what other camera manufacturers recommend, but I think this method will work with most straps.

Some people don't use straps at all, because they catch on things or get in the way.  If that's you, and you're inclined to start a discussion about the evils of straps: move along and start your own thread! 

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow