Portability v Quality are we obsessed by size?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
DidierV
Contributing MemberPosts: 737
Like?
You are missing 1 parameter in your equation !
In reply to ianbrown, Jan 11, 2013

To me it is no longer only an issue between size and quality.

As others have mentioned, the new ILC'S (I have an OMD) have closed the quality gap. For most of my shots I would be incapable of seeing the quality difference between my 5D and my OMD.

My OMD has a faster AF than my 5D, a higher FPS, better high ISO performance and a 4 stop IS.

So why do I keep the 5D ? ERGONOMICS !

For me this is the biggest difference now between the 2 systems. I spent 3 weeks in the Himalayas this summer with my 5D and my OMD and I found myself reaching most of the time for the FF. Why, because it felt right, comfortable, I never had to fumble with the small buttons of the OMD. I love the viewfinder bright and clear, it is just a more user friendly tool, that allows you to concentrate on the shot not the camera.

I love my Olympus but I will not get rid of my FF. I have to admit that I have seriously reduced the size of my DSLR quiver since I got the Olympus, but I will not get a full M4/3 system just yet.

Both have their place in my photography, but one is not going to replace the other for the time being.

-- hide signature --

Didier
www.pbase.com/didierv

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow