Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TAM63
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Well that's just great (not)
Jan 11, 2013

Background - since I got the D7000 I had trouble getting things very sharp, especially with my 18-70mm. Also, the 70-300mm at 300mm. Figured it was probably me, and struggled along.

Turns out that 18-70mm lens appears to be bad (sent photos to Nikon).

Also turns out that the D7000 is indeed backfocusing, with both my lenses.

So... Talked to Nikon. Even though the D7000 is just barely out of warranty (about 1 week when I started talking to them) they will charge to calibrate it - up to $304.

The 18-70mm may not even be worth fixing - estimate easily up to $199. Probably better off to throw it in a pond and buy another used one.

Great.

So, for me, the moral of the story is - if you're not sure - send it all off to Nikon to be looked at.

I shouldn't have have assumed it was me, and tried so hard to figure what I was doing wrong - since there do seem to be a number of D7000 with backfocus issues, and I could have returned that 18-70mm lens if I'd figured it out earlier - I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. Probably throw away the one lens and just deal with the body I guess. Buy another lens? I dunno. Not really feeling like throwing another $500 at the project, but I'm certainly going to be out at least a few hundred no matter what I do. I don't know.

At present, I am beyond frustrated with the whole thing honestly.

TAM63's gear list:TAM63's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow