Has the K5 exposure problem with external flash guns been solved on the K5II/IIs?

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Questions thread
il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,975Gear list
Like?
The easiest workaround is...
In reply to olynik969, Jan 11, 2013

olynik969 wrote:

Just got a K5 II and it is equally erratic (not reliable) in flash exposure as anything I've ever owned - to the point of considering returning it. I also own Nikon and Canon and it simply amazes me that they can get flash so well done and Pentax and Sony either still can't or don't want to.

This is my experience - ymmv.

If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear and try it. Other than that issue, I consider it a really great camera. I however use flash a lot.

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

The easiest workaround is to use flash guns that support A mode instead of PTTL.

For example, METZ 58 has its own sensor to measure the reflected light and to provide a perfect consistent exposure. It is capable of negotiating the all camera's parameters automatically, so no manual flash configuration is required at any time. It gives the point-and-shoot experience similar to PTTL.

As a bonus, there will be less photos with people closing their eyes during the pre-flash (there should be no pre-flash in A-mode, right? At least this is my theory, which I haven't bothered to back up by any representative statistics ).

Though I am not sure if the Pentax 540fgz is smart enough to support this mode.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow