What is the point of the HYBRID OVF?

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
MayaTlab0
Contributing MemberPosts: 906
Like?
Re: What is the point of the HYBRID OVF?
In reply to shigzeo ?, Jan 11, 2013

shigzeo ? wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

The point is to enjoy the benefits of a rangefinder-like viewfinder :

- brightest optical viewfinder available now (no lag, yet not as dim as DSLRs VF in the dark).

- ability to see beyond the framelines.

- no viewfinder blackout.

These are all points you can't have with other types of viewfinders, so it still has a number competitive advantages that make it relevant even today.

Most of these advantages become useful, IMHO, mostly for street photography or associated genres.

I have three rangefinders. Each are coupled to the lens, or have a built-in lens. The X series has none of the benefits of manual focusing available in the OVF - which it could if it had an overlay option in the OVF alongside horizon, exposure, etc.

It's not that I'm unfamiliar with OVFs or rangefinder windows - everyone knows the benefits and disadvantages of those. It's that this is a HYBRID with functionality that could overlay part of the focus function of the EVF in manual mode in the OVF and it doesn't. It's been nearly two years that the X100 has been out and still, no hint of firmware to use what can be done.

I'm not sure that's as technically easy as it seems to be, and my intuition (just an intuition) is that the main issue would be the available contrast of the LCD when projected on a backlighted area (as the regular info in OVF mode is). It's not a problem at all for the regular OVF information, as they're all displayed at a similar contrast level. If you were to try to project the picture on the OVF, I have the intuition blacks would be transparent and the picture barely understandable. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow