Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
SammyToronto
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
Re: Returned the LX7
In reply to Darrell Spreen, Jan 11, 2013

Darrell Spreen wrote:

SammyToronto wrote:

When/if you do get the LX7 (I'm assuming you don't have it, otherwise you would've quoted your own experience not reviews), you may see what I'm talking about. Or you may not. Like many things in life, mediocrity is in the eyes of the beholder!

Some of the best things in life are very subtle and not always appreciated. A lot of people want to be dazzled by the images from their cameras and that's what recent generations of cameras delivered (one of the things you discover by reading reviews and pro photographer blogs). However, that seems to be turning around -- but I recognize from some other threads that not everyone likes the more subtle rendering.

Your comment reveals that you have missed the photos I have already posted (where I commented on my own experience). That would seem to be a common courtesy before making the statement above.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

I didn't see pics posted with your previous messages, but if I missed them I apologize.

The point remains that, for me, the LX7 output is mediocre, especially in terms of noise handling in average indoor light. Whether this was a deliberate attempt on Panasonic's side to decrease smearing and NR artifacts or not (they're still there, even at the lowest NR setting, but probably not as much as in other Panny cameras) is irrelevant; the bottom line for me is that the output is not appealing.

I'm willing to bet that this sensor will be the first thing Panasonic will ditch in the next iteration of the LX series, and so they should. It's an unfortunate weak link in an otherwise brilliantly designed camera, imo of course.

SammyToronto's gear list:SammyToronto's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PL5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow