Nepal trekking with OM-D (lots of pictures!)

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kirilrusev
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
Nepal trekking with OM-D (lots of pictures!)
Jan 11, 2013

I spent 26 days in Nepal in October 2012 and all the way I had the Olympus OM-D (EM-5) with me. I built a site and started putting pictures from the trekking there with additional info about the route, maps, etc.

I am very-very pleased with how the camera performed! It is an excellent choice for this kind of trip: I had 5-6 days in Kathmandu and the small size and unobtrusive looks of the camera allowed me to take some nice shots of people on the street; In the mountains it was a delight to carry the camera + 4 lenses + 9 batteries + accessories all in one not-too-heavy bag. The weight wasn't an issue at all although our route was one of the longest and hardest in the Everest area.

A bit about my kit: with the camera I had the 12-50mm kit lens, the Oly 14-150mm superzoom, Oly 45/1.8 prime and Lumix 20/1.7 prime. I had the original battery from Oly and 8 more generics bought from China (eBay). I also carried a small Gorillapod hybrid tripod which was quite handy at night.

Some comments about the lenses:

• 12-50 - most of my pictures were taken with it. Very good for general shots in good light. Might need extra detail sharpening during the post processing later.
  • 14-150 - I used that mostly for long shots when I needed a close up of something. As 12-50 it is not the sharpest lens but can produce some decent results in good light.
  • 45/1.8 - my absolute favorite! I used that mostly for people shots and for landscapes when the distance to the subject allowed. Towards the end of the trek I tended to prefer that lens over any other even for the landscape shots. I was very lucky as Everest fits very well in the 45's viewing angle from Kala Patthar.
  • 20/1.7 - I used that mostly for indoor shots (monasteries, lodges, etc.). An excellent lens but tends to focus slowly and your subjects shouldn't make sharp moves

So here is the web site: http://www.everexplore.com

And here is the gallery from this trek (so far the only trip on the site but there will be more soon):

http://www.everexplore.com/galleries/nepal-trekking-2012

I have published most of the pictures from the trekking but there are still some good ones remaining from Island Peak and the way back.

All pictures were shot in RAW and post-processed in LR4. Here is a quick selection and you can see the rest on the links above. Any comments and critique are welcome!

kirilrusev's gear list:kirilrusev's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GoodNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow