25 lenses between 50 and 58mm tested for sharpness

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
kuuan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,430Gear list
Like?
Re: 25 lenses between 50 and 58mm tested for sharpness
In reply to Marla2008, Jan 11, 2013

Marla2008 wrote:

I myself had a pretty flourish collection of nifties and close related focal length. I have no images to show now but have posted a number of comparisons (all very unscientific) on Talknex.com.

I had Canon lenses in my arsenal, namely a FL55/1.2 and FD50/1.8. Both insanely sharp, the 1.2 bring extremely good from 1.4 onwards, and the 1.8 crazy good wide open and extremely contrasty. I have not been so lucky with the Hexanons. Either they don't fit my tastes, or I had a bunch of lemons as neither the 50/1.7 nor the 40/1.8 I had impressed me very positively. Only the rare and heavy 35/2EE was extremely good. But the PEN F 38/1.8 is even better, smaller and faster.

My favorites are : the FL 55/1.2, the PEN F 38/1.8 for walk around, the SMC 55/1.8 in PK mount (Gold award for me), the Rokkor MC 50/1.4. Special mention to the Rollei HFT 50/1.8 for sharpness/contrast. I guess the PEN is my most used lens. If the SEL 35/1.8 has decent AF speed it might take the crown. I had the SEL 50/1.8 which is excellent, but unreliable in AF speed and sad as a modern lens. Once you get used to shooting legacy glass, it's hard to go back to modern lenses, unless they're AF speed demons, which is FAR from the case with NEX.

-- hide signature --

If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up.

obviously me too I like using legacy glass, and me too, on NEX, really like the Pen-F lenses. I have been using the f1.4/40 more than the 1.8/38, but both are excellent.

Before using NEX I had been using Pentax dSLR which was another reason why I had not got into legacy Canon lenses but certainly some are real gems! Hexanons get quite divided reports.

The Rokkor and Rollei you mention certainly are great, if you like the SMC 1.8/55 I'd recommend you also give a Takumar or Pentax f1.4/50 a try

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow