First good lens to be tested on the D800E on DXOmark!

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,376Gear list
Like?
Re: I was one of those...
In reply to Fayard, Jan 11, 2013

Fayard wrote:

Sharpening adds/magnifies noise, so for the same perceived sharpness, the D800E will give cleaner output.

I agree on that point. I've done some tests with the NEFs available at DPreview and I agree that with the same perceived sharpness, the D800E will give a less noise. I am sure it will make a difference in astro photography.

Also, you could apply sharpening to both, in which case the D800 would still be sharper

I disagree on that point as artifacts are going to appear sooner on the D800E.

Here are the NEFs I've developped with Lightroom. They come from the DPreview review of the D800 and they are shot with a 50mm lens at f4.5, and they are crops from the centrer. We are in optimal conditions.

I've developped them with lightroom using, for the D800E: Amount: x, Radius: 1, Detail: 25, Masking 0, and for the D800: Amount: x+25, Radius: 1, Detail: 25, Masking 0. These are 100% crops for x=25, 50, 75 and 100. The D800 image is on the left and the D800E is on the right.

Thanks for the great effort!.  And I agree that sharpening anything beyond it's "already sharp" state is futile and will introduce artifacts.   If it's already sharp on the D800E, then you are just gaining lower noise than the D800 with additional sharpening.

I would contend that a smaller radius should be used for the D800E, since the point spread function with the nullified AA filter is smaller.   A smaller radius (say .5) sharpening on the D800E with a similar "amount" as a larger radius (1) sharpening on the D800 would likely enhance the very fine details without increasing artifacts and noise.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow