About to order a Sony RX1...

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
drv320
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
Re: Why? What is so special (to you) about RX1?
In reply to Kokeen4231, Jan 11, 2013

Kokeen4231 wrote:

+1 here. Would rather get the x100s. Though no one outside fuji really knows how well the x100s performs compared to the rx1, a few things certain which makes the x100s more appealing is the hybrid viewfinder. The RX1 does not even have a viewfinder which looses its 'professionalism' as a full frame. Another thing is the price. If you add the price of the viewfinder to the rx1, the RX1 would almost be thriple the price of the x100s! Though DXO has given the rx1 an extremely high score, I cant say I am sure I want to pay over $3000 for one. I guess other than the huge sensor I am paying for the zeiss lens.

And lastly who knows if the x100s would have the great high ISO of the XE1.

...and there's one of the issues I can't shake.  Fuji haven't released a "mature" X camera yet.  Every time they've released, it's been a camera Fuji thought was good enough, but few users shared their opinion.  We've been left with what they could be.  Not bagging on Fuji...at all.  I have an obvious soft spot for them as I couldn't get rid of my X100.

• X100s is an unknown commodity...except on paper. 
  • X-Trans sensor...already have one in my XE-1.  It's pretty awesome, but I don't know that I want to put all my eggs in the X-Trans basket. 
  • PDAF...doesn't really concern me that much.  I don't shoot sports or other fast moving activities (or VERY low light stuff) very often...and if those needs arise, I almost always know about it in advance. 
  • Viewfinder...I do like having a viewfinder when I need it, but I'm not uncomfortable without it. 

I think the X100s is going to be really tough to get until October (or later).  Regardless of how good they say the camera will be, spec sheets don't make photographs.

I've been wanting a FF camera for some time now, but do not want another DSLR (or a Leica).  I see this as the perfect introduction (for me).  If I only looked at spec sheets and took opinions as fact, I'd have never ended up with my X100 in the first place.  I could be 100% wrong about everything I'm thinking...or I could be 100% right. I'll never know unless I try.

-- hide signature --

Most people would rather die than think; many do.
~Bertrand Russel

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow