What is the point of the HYBRID OVF?

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,155Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the point of the HYBRID OVF?
In reply to hexxthalion, Jan 11, 2013

hexxthalion wrote:

shigzeo ? wrote:

An overlay of the EVF, not a split image, but just a zoomed in overlay, however, is possible. Even with the tiny viewfinder of the X Pro, I'd purchase it for that. THe EVF gives me headaches and I'm not going to purchase fuji lenses.

Fuji's XF lenses are really good. I've read something somewhere about the use of adapted lenses and the author of that article made very valid point:

- XF lenses are designed for X cameras and are designed for APS-C

- most of the adapted lenses he used where designed for FF sensors or film cameras

- with adapted lenses he couldn't find valid replacement at the same/similar focal lengths for Fuji's lenses because they are usually slower or optically inferior

I was in the same boat when I was deciding between X-Pro1 and X-E1 (better EVF) and in the end I just couldn't find 3rd party lenses I'd like to use instead of XF lenses. For landscape photography it's better anyway to use tripod and X-Pro1's LCD has higher resolution than the on on X-E1 and that's what I use if I use a tripod - I never use viewfinder.

Fuji's lenses are optically amazing. I have no qualms with quality. Sharp, colourful, great bokeh, and decently put together. But, they are all electronic, made for ASPC and cannot be focused on another system because they lack hardware helicoids.

I won't buy into another system. I'm not that guy.

I will use my other lenses, which, faults as they may be full of, are prescious lenses to me that can be used on my rangefinders and on other digital cameras or adopted for micro use on SLRs. If I were coming straight into a new digital system, I'd happily go with the FUji, but I'd still wonder why I can't do have the things with my lenses and metering system that I can do with a meterless Canon P.

Sharpness isn't everything to me.

I've never invested in electronics that have no mechanical anchor. I can't imagine ever doing it, either. As nice as they are, Fuji's lenses are cheap for their optical performance because of a number of hardware shortcuts. Plus, they are SLR lenses, and because they are all electronic, they are dead completely without a body. THat sort of commoditising I really really dislike. I live in Japan where every year, things are losing functionality because they are going automatic. At home, I can't flush the toilet if the power goes out or the remote control frays.

Japan is full of stupid ideas because no questions how things are being made. Today, it's everything even toilets all computers or nothing and it won't last. My Canon and Nikon lenses from the 1960's and 50's have a number of issues: Nikon's front element rotates with focus, Canon, aperture blades are delicate. But both work on any system and are made to last.

You cannot free lens with the Fuji glass, cannot use extensions unless they are electronic, can't trip apertures open or closed via wire. As good as they are, they are simply nothing without batteries.

flickr
O image - audio photography

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow