Retail Week report Jessops going into administration.

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
KieranGee
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Re: Retail Vultures
In reply to essH, Jan 11, 2013

essH wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

essH wrote:

KieranGee wrote:

We are also most certainly NOT charging people twice for cameras. If a customer has already paid for stock that we have ordered in for them, then unfortunately we can't, at the moment, release that stock to them, but we would not ask them to pay for it again.

I don't know the legal position on that, but if I were a customer faced with that situation, then I would regard withholding such stock as theft or fraud.

Nonsense. If a company goes broke....it is broke.

That's not the point I'm making. We are told that Jessops are in administration, not liquidation. That means they are still trading. What seems to have happened is that the administrators have told staff not to honour purchase agreements where money has already been taken. That might be a temporary hold while the administrators figure out the "true" situation (whatever they define true to mean), and it might not.

If they were truly broke, the stores would be closed and locked.

I'm asking the wider question - if I pay for an item for future delivery and it then comes in, should I get priority over a new customer who walks in the door today to buy the same item in stock? What protection do I have?

I know I would not want to be a Jessops store staff member just now - just as I didn't want to be employed in a Comet store a few weeks ago.

-- hide signature --

Simon

So far as I'm aware, the hold on handing out stock that has partial, or even full, payment on it, is a temporary measure, I couldn't say why, but I have to assume that the administrators know what they're doing, it is their job after all.

As to your wider question, at the moment you can't pay for an item that we don't have in, one thing that we aren't currently able to do at a store level is order stuff that we don't have.

KieranGee's gear list:KieranGee's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon D40 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow