What is the point of the HYBRID OVF?

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
hexxthalion
Contributing MemberPosts: 536Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the point of the HYBRID OVF?
In reply to shigzeo, Jan 11, 2013

shigzeo ? wrote:

hexxthalion wrote:

I was thinking about this for a while, because you can show corrected AF frame in the OVF and was thinking how hard would it be to show digital split image in similar fashion. I think the problem could lie in the colour palette available on the digital overlay and could be limited to few basic colours. As far as I know it only changes brightness of the overlaid info (which seems to be gray) and then we have additional 2 colours used in the overlay - green for AF, red for no-AF. Hard to tell really, maybe it will be implemented in X-Pro1 replacement in 2014

That is the most plausible explanation I've heard. I assumed that a portion of the EVF was overlaid onto the OVF. If what I assumed is correct, it would mean Fuji have held back functionality or are too lazy to implement it.

If what you say is correct, then Fuji may have set the X series out too early. That really should be a full colour palette that can be summoned for focusing.

I don't know if it's true, it's only my brain dump on this matter

But I don't think it would work because Phase Detection sensors are placed in the center (like array of AF points on D600 for example) and my understanding is that the Digital Split Image is possible thanks to these small sensors. I don't really care that much about it because you can still use OVF and hit 'focus-check' button (the one above directional pad) to 'quick-zoom' to your photo and do whatever you need to do because it switches to EVF.

I believe it will be quite fast - that's how I check focus when using X100 in MF mode. I use OVF and zone focus and from time to time I just check by hitting that little button that I'm roughly focused at the right thing.

hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow