What is the point of the HYBRID OVF?

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
hexxthalion
Contributing MemberPosts: 526Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the point of the HYBRID OVF?
In reply to shigzeo ?, Jan 11, 2013

shigzeo ? wrote:

I'm not interested in mechanical coupling, merely the ability to show focus in the OVF. It is a HYBRID viewfinder with overlay information from the EVF possible. The EVF can focus. A portion of the EVF just for focusing could be overlaid onto the OVF so that the OVF could still be used as a focusing mechanism.

That is why I don't understand what the use of the HYBRID portion is if all it does is show horizon, exposure, and a few other things. They could be done below or above with a little squinting. Fuji have squandered what should be the most precious commodity in the X100 and X-Pro.

HYBRID with dull, obtrusive information is a poor substitute for one that could be used to take photos in the traditional way of shooting.

I was thinking about this for a while, because you can show corrected AF frame in the OVF and was thinking how hard would it be to show digital split image in similar fashion. I think the problem could lie in the colour palette available on the digital overlay and could be limited to few basic colours. As far as I know it only changes brightness of the overlaid info (which seems to be gray) and then we have additional 2 colours used in the overlay - green for AF, red for no-AF. Hard to tell really, maybe it will be implemented in X-Pro1 replacement in 2014

hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow