Question about C-print

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
sjstremb
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
Re: Question about C-print
In reply to Batzorig, Jan 11, 2013

Type C prints are less archival then pigmented inkjet prints on rag paper, as a result, I know from personal experience that museums and collections are less likely to purchase Type C prints. There have been advances, but if you check out the Henry Wilhelm:

http://wilhelm-research.com\

You'll see Type C material is not a good choice for long term collectors. It is just not as stable and as a result, many museums are reluctant to collect or purchase it.

IMHO, the color space of Type C is also smaller than inkjet and you have a much greater range of options for paper types with digital printing.

I taught Type C for year and worked as a consultant for color labs setting up custom Type C labs and I can tell you, this process represents a compromise. Why do you see it out there? There is still a large infrastructure for it and it can be a cheaper method of printing that high quality pigmented inkjet on archival rag paper.

sjstremb's gear list:sjstremb's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow