Getting lots of wierd looks and attention from taking pics in public

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,321
Like?
Re: Its a serious problem
In reply to corneaboy, Jan 11, 2013

corneaboy wrote:

Unfortunately, in the US, and I assume other places, many people do not want their photo taken for various reasons. . .

You are within your legal rights to take photos of people in public places, but few shots are worth antagonizing someone and causing a fight and possible damage to your equipment.

I'm not so sure it's even unfortunate; from books, articles, lectures in a psychology class, and personal experience, it simply appears to be a fact that most people don't like having their picture taken, especially when it's unexpected, unasked-for, and by people they don't know.  As much as I enjoy photography, I understand and support people's desire not to be the unwilling subjects of other people's photographic hobby just because they happen to be in public.  I can't think of any reasonable legal recourse to put in place to protect the public from cameras, nor do I understand the desire to take pictures of strangers (the very concept of so-called "street photography" just seems weird to me), but it's nice to see that some, like you, are willing to respect people's discomfort.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow